Have you decided to bite the bullet and hire a photographer to take family photos of your family but you are lost on what to dress everyone in?! It’s not the 1990’s and no you cannot all wear black and white. Don’t worry, though, because I’d like to think that I am VERY experienced in the art of coordinating family outfits and I am going to share my secrets with you!
Family photos are an investment. Personally I feel like time with my babes just FLIES by. In the blink of an eye they go from newborns, to babies, to toddler, and before we know it they will be grown up! Once that happens, all we will only have are our memories and PICTURES of the time when they were small. We try to take photos as a family every 6 months now that the kids are young. Hiring a professional photographer isn’t cheap so I want to make sure that I get the most out of our bi-annual documentation of our lives. Meaning we don’t just search the internet for the lowest priced photographer, show up in any old outfit, cram in 30 minutes of pictures, and call it day. These pictures are very important to me, so I plan them WELL in advance and take them with a photographer we LOVE and trust.
So here goes. My 10 secrets to planning the perfect outfits for family photos.
1. Pick a color scheme with 3 colors and try to mix patterns. As you can see we are famous for having blue in our photos, but each time we have a 2 other accent colors.
2. Dress mom and dad pretty neutral that way the kids can change outfits mid photo session and the parents won’t clash. Same session below kids changed outfits mid shoot.
3. Plan who will be holding who ahead of time. For us I typically hold my daughter since she is smaller and my husband holds my son. See below my husband has on a mint shirt and my son is in plaid. If my hubs was holding my daughter (also wearing mint), they would have clashed. My daughter was in a pattern, so I was plain.
4. Don’t be afraid to add color by using accessories. Think bowties, hair bows, statement necklaces! Those are all ways to add color!!
5. Plaid shirts for boys!! They are a nice way to choose a color scheme since there are usually 3 colors in them! I usually put my son in a plaid shirt and choose complementing colors for my daughter.
6. Dress for the season! Fall colors should be worn in fall, bright colors for summer, etc. Take advantage of your background and plan accordingly. For our Fall photos we tried to make use of the changing leaves!
7. Bring your pets and dress them as well! They are a part of the family and wouldn’t it be great to document your child’s best friend!? My dog is HUGE so I buy him a little boys size medium!
8. Hang your outfits up on a neutral back ground and take pictures of the outfits ahead of time. This way you can see how everything looks together and even ask your friends for their opinions on the color scheme.
9. Dress in layers. That way you can take a layer off to get slightly different looks!
10. Look on the internet!! If you search pinterest for “family photo outfits” you are bound to get SEVERAL results. You don’t have to plan alone!!
Happy outfit planning!!
**all photos were taken by our friend Kathy Davies at Kathy Davies Photography